Today is Chocolate Cake Day! As if I needed another reason to bake…. Tuesdays are busy days for me so I didn’t have much time to do it in: but no need to worry, this recipe is so quick and easy!
Preheat: oven to 180°C/ 160°fan/ Gas 4 and prepare a baking pan: either use an muffin tin, it will make 16 to 18, or an 8″/20cm round tin. Today I opted for my kugelhopf tin
In a large bowl: sift together and set aside
- 350g plain flour
- 175g sugar (I mixed white and brown just because I ran out of the white)
- ¼tsp salt
In a small bowl: mix together and set aside
- 125ml buttermilk ( last minute so milk + 1tsp white vinegar left for 5mn)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coffee extract (or 1 tbsp good instant espresso powder)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
In a small pan:
- melt 230g butter
- add 4 generous tbsp cocoa powder
- pour 250ml boiling water, stirring well and once brought back to the boil, remove from heat
- Pour the chocolate liquid over the dry ingredients, mixing gently, allowing for the liquid to cool down: you should get something that looks like a dough
- Add the wet ingredients over it and mix together with a wooden spoon. Pour into your prepared pan
Bake for 35mn as a cake or 18 to 20mn as muffins.
Leave to cool for 10mn before turning onto a wire rack. I used melted milk chocolate and sprinkles for finishing touches!
That easy! Now enjoy as my boys did!