I made this for the first time yesterday and when I asked my oldest boy if it was nice (he loves custard!) his reply was: ” Mum, nice doesn’t even begin to describe this!” I knew I was onto a winner!
- 400g rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into 3 to 4cm sized piece
- 25g vanilla sugar
- Fresh custard: powder, sugar and 500ml milk
- 190g soft butter
- 250g self raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground vanilla (if available)
- 150g light brown sugar
For the rhubarb:
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°fan/ Gas 5
- Put the rhubarb in a shallow dish and toss with the sugar
- Make sure it is in a single layer and cover with foil
- Roast for 15mn
- Remove the foil, shake a little and roast for an extra 5mn
- Drain the juices off and let it cool
For the custard:
- Basically, follow the instructions on your custard powder tin, or buy it ready made.
- You will need 150g + 3 or 4 tbsp (set aside for the end)
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°fan/ Gas 4 and prepare a 25cm / 10″ round springform cake tin
- In a large bowl, I used my stand mixer for this cake, beat together the custard with all the rest of the ingredients (it’s that easy!) until creamy and smooth
- Level 1/3 of the mix on the bottom of your tin and dot with 1/3 of the rhubarb
- Repeat twice but don’t be to neat about your cake layers, leaving a few dips
- Finishing with a layer of rhubarb, scatter the rest of the custard (the 3 or 4 tbsp set aside) on top
- Bake for 35 to 40mn until well risen and golden in colour
- Cover with foil and bake for an extra 15mn: clean skewer and it springs back when touched
- Leave to cool in the tin, it will drop a little
- Dust with icing sugar and enjoy with custard, what else!
I think this could work with apples too! to be continued…..