Only simple wholesome ingredients needed here as you can see. I always use reduced fat butter, that’s the one that seems to work best for me, I even make my own Vanilla extract, which I will introduce into this blog at a later date, never fear! These are a favourite of my boys, they call them “the healthy cookies” but today I thought I would add some cocoa powder in the mix….
- 150g plain flour (+1 tbsp for later)
- 100g rolled oats
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g white sugar
- 35g brown sugar
- 50g soft butter
- 1 tbsp apple puree
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 scant tbsp cocoa powder
- 50g chocolate chips (or cranberries, or raisins, or you favourite chopped nuts, possibilities are endless!)
- Preheat oven to 180C/ 160fan/ Gas 4
- In a bowl, mix the flour (150g) with the next 4 ingredients
- In another large bowl, mix the apple puree (used to reduce the amount of butter) with the butter then cream together with the sugars
- Add the vanilla and the egg and beat until well blended
- Gradually, add the flour mixture, mixing at low speed or by hand until just combined
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- I divided the mixture into 1/3 in which I added the cocoa powder slowly ( to taste, I don’t like it too strong) and 2/3 in which went the last of the flour
- Spoon or scoop ( I love my ice creams scoopers! perfect for the job!) the dough on prepared baking trays, you should have enough for 2 trays: 1, well spaced, goes straight into the oven and the over in the freezer, ready for those emergencies!
- Bake for 10 to 12mn until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned. Let them cool for 2mn then transfer onto a cooling rack
- I have made these several times and reduced the sugar amounts each time: today, the chocolate ones were fantastic and it might be due to the bitterness of the cocoa, perfect balance. Whereas the plain vanilla ones still tasted too sweet to my palate… to be continued….
- They can come out differently, sometimes like today, other times a little more flat but they still taste the same, YummY!!!